At the beginning of the 20th century, Charles R. Van Hise vowed that the impact of the University of Wisconsin would be felt at the very boundaries of the state. This "Wisconsin Idea" has been expressed in many ways but nowhere more vividly than through programs of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health.
With a mission to meet the health needs of Wisconsin and beyond, the UW School of Medicine and Public Health established a statewide campus extending to every corner of Wisconsin, bringing better health care to all our communities.
The UW School of Medicine and Public Health was envisioned in 1848 when Governor Nelson Dewey included a medical school in his plan for the newly created University of Wisconsin.
In 1908, eight students matriculated in the new College of Medicine at the University of Wisconsin. The two-year curriculum consisted entirely of basic science classes. A handful of faculty members - either "borrowed" from the College of Letters and Science or recently hired for the new college - taught the students anatomy, physiology, physiological chemistry, pathology and pharmacology.
The University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health has, over the years, broadened its scope to include programs in public health, physical therapy, physician assistant and genetic counseling. These programs have consistently achieved high acclaim and supply needed health professionals to Wisconsin and beyond.
We have continuously emphasized research as a vital component of our mission. The School of Medicine and Public Health offers more than a dozen doctoral programs covering the full spectrum of basic, clinical, translational and population health sciences.