The Training in Urban Medicine and Public Health (TRIUMPH) program is a focus within the MD Program curriculum at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in Madison.
The Training in Urban Medicine and Public Health program seeks medical students who are committed to providing health care for urban populations and to reducing health disparities.
The program combines existing Milwaukee-based third-year primary care, obstetrics and gynecology, internal medicine rotations, the fourth-year preceptorship and electives with community and public health experiences. The program integrates clinical medicine and community and public health in a combined third- and fourth-year curriculum.
TRIUMPH, like the Wisconsin Academy for Rural Medicine (WARM), is a program within the school, designed to address the health needs of Wisconsin and beyond. Both programs embody the Wisconsin Idea for the 21st century - to share and apply advances in knowledge for the common good in collaboration with the state, its many constituents and communities and its partners around the world.
TRIUMPH, established in 2008, is led and coordinated by an enthusiastic team of UW School of Medicine and Public Health faculty and staff located in Madison and Milwaukee. The program is an important component of our transformation into a school of medicine and public health.
The UW School of Medicine and Public Health is also working with University of Wisconsin System and community partners to develop a Rural and Urban Scholars in Community Health (RUSCH) pipeline program designed to recruit and prepare motivated students who wish to serve rural and urban communities.
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health medical students in the Training in Urban Medicine and Public Health program will learn about:
- Health disparities
- Accessing community resources
- Enhancing cultural skills
- Engaging with communities
- Developing and implementing population-based health promotion projects
- Mindful practice and the physician
- Aurora Health Care
- Aurora Family Service
- Bread of Healing Clinic
- Center for Urban Population Health
- Children's Health Alliance of Wisconsin
- City of Milwaukee Health Department
- City on a Hill
- Community Advocates
- Growing Power
- Historic Milwaukee, Inc.
- Lifecourse Initiative for Healthy Families Planning Council
- Milwaukee Area Health Education Center
- Milwaukee County Breast Feeding Coalition
- Milwaukee Center for Independence
- Milwaukee Health Services, Inc.
- Milwaukee Homicide Review Commission
- Milwaukee Public Schools/Aurora School-based Health
- Public Allies
- Progressive Community Health Centers
- Sixteenth Street Community Health Center
- United Community Center
- Walker's Point Community Clinic/Core El Centro
- Walnut Way Conservation Corp.
- Wisconsin Arts Board
- Zilber Neighborhood Initiative