FairShare CSA Coalition, a Madison, Wisconsin-based nonprofit, supports and connects community supported agriculture (CSA) farmers and consumers.
Through outreach and education FairShare fosters a cohesive network of committed farmers and community members who believe CSA is the backbone of a vibrant, just and healthy food system where all families have access to locally produced, organic food and have strong connections to their farms, food and community in southern Wisconsin.
FairShare interns are key members of the team and assist with all aspects of the organization’s work, including outreach campaigns, administrative tasks, event coordination, resource development and research. Students are encouraged to attend relevant conferences, workshops and meetings to increase knowledge and network with others working within the food system. Students will gain valuable community organizing experience and contribute to critical programs that work to build the strength and vitality of our local farms and increase access to healthy food.
- FairShare’s internships are volunteer positions, though course credit may be available to qualified students
- This position reports to Carrie Sedlak, programs manager, and Erika Jones, executive director
- Commit to a regular schedule for the duration of the internship
- Others as required by the preceptorship
Partner Shares program
The Partner Shares program provides assistance to low-income households toward purchasing CSA shares. Applications are accepted from January 15 to April 1 of each year. Limited funds are available, and the Partner Shares program intern manages the application intake and processing, as well as ensuring basic education for participants on how CSA and the Partner Shares program works. Duties include:
- Overall program application administration
- Email and phone followup and recordkeeping
- Keeping detailed Excel spreadsheets and participant files
- Ongoing communications with applicants/participants and farms
- SNAP/EBT benefits processing
- Food Access Committee participation and outreach to community center and leaders
FairShare undertakes a major promotional and educational campaign each spring to remind and encourage consumers to sign up for their CSA share. The promotional season culminates with the annual CSA Open House, but also includes ongoing public service announcements, local advertising and wellness fair presentations.
CSA Open House
Assist with overall event coordination, including:
- Outreach and promotion (postering, flyers, ads, etc.)
- Event logistics and planning
Workplace CSA Support
- Assist with outreach to workplaces
- Conduct educational presentations at workplaces; table at wellness fairs, etc.
General organizational administration and special events:
- Support FairShare staff with events and presentations as needed
- Contribute to FairShare’s electronic newsletter
- Manage email account, fulfill cookbook orders, respond to general inquiries
- Update website events calendar to maintain and feature FairShare and partner events related to food and other relevant topics in the region
- Other office administrative assistance
Qualifications and expectations
- Interest/experience in local food, sustainability and sustainable agriculture
- Excellent written/oral communication skills
- Ability to meet with staff supervisor weekly or bi-weekly and with other staff as needed
Please direct any questions regarding the internship to email@example.com.