The Center for Urban Population Health was founded on a partnership between the UW School of Medicine and Public Health, UW-Milwaukee and Aurora Health Care.
The center's mission is to conduct and facilitate original population health research and educational initiatives that improve the health of urban communities through collaboration with academic and community organizations. For the Center for Urban Population Health, the population health perspective provides a research framework to better understand and address the health and well-being of communities.
Population health focuses on identifying the determinants of health, disease and well-being in populations, designing and implementing preventive or treatment interventions and measuring their effectiveness against health outcomes of a community.
The purpose of the center’s field experience and service learning opportunities are to provide a framework for students to gain direct, supervised experience in population health research and evaluation projects. In addition to gaining valuable experience in population health, students will receive:
- Opportunities to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of Center Scientists around population health issues
- Hands-on learning in their area of interest
- Recognition of contributions in center communications (such as website, annual report, etc.)
- Notice of community and professional development opportunities
- Promoting a population health framework as a unifying approach for addressing health determinants, interventions and health outcomes
- Forging partnerships with community and academic experts from diverse organizations, backgrounds, perspectives and disciplines
- Creating an environment of innovation
- Translating research into effective policies, programs and practices
- Working to reduce health disparities
View more information about the center's service-learning opportunities, including eligibility requirements and the application form.
Field experience opportunities are based on availability of projects. Please contact Michelle Corbett, MPH, for more information at email@example.com.