The Nutrition and Physical Activity Program provides statewide leadership to decrease overweightness and obesity, increase physical activity and improve nutrition.
Located in the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, the program and its partners have developed and are implementing the Wisconsin Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity State Plan to accomplish the overall goal of preventing obesity and chronic disease.
Projects available in topic areas by settings include:
- Active community environments
- Early care and education (child care)
- Food system
- Health care
The student and mentor will work together to develop a project related to one of these topics in Wisconsin.
Examples of previous student projects
- Understanding producer perceptions to inform Wisconsin farm-to-school programs and policies
- Assessing community coalition capacity to advocate for physical activity policies
- Assessing the Nutrition Environment in Wisconsin Communities (ANEWC)
- Statewide social marketing-based formative assessment with restaurant and food store owners and patrons
- Strategy selection for grocery store intervention
- Assessing physical activity and nutrition environment of child care centers