The Rock County Public Health Department (RCPHD) is a Level 3 health department offering a wide range of population, prevention and environmental health services.
Potential capstone project
In the most recent County Health Rankings, Rock County was identified as having the second-highest rate of adult obesity (percentage of adults that report a body mass index of 30 or more) in Wisconsin. The Rock County Public Health Department seeks student assistance with fully assessing the status and conditions of obesity in Rock County as well as identifying the root causes of obesity in the community. Student work will go great lengths to helping the Rock County Public Health Department identify, design and implement appropriate and effective health promotion and disease prevention campaigns and programs.
This project would focus on systems mapping, capacity building and large-scale recommendations for policy, systems and environmental changes to improve the nutritional and physical activity landscape in Rock County.
Project opportunities will likely include:
- Compiling, integrating and understanding relevant and available data on the issue
- Gap analysis examining obesity prevention tools
- Research, collection of evidence of best practice in prevention and intervention strategies
- Collaboration with local partners and stakeholders to prioritize issues and strategies to create a healthier community
- Recommendations for policy, systems and environmental changes to improve the nutritional and physical activity landscape in Rock County
- Communicating challenges and successes to key stakeholders
The Rock County Public Health Department offers:
- Practical, real world experience in a comprehensive Level 3 public health agency, serving a county with diverse populations and issues
- Opportunity to develop valuable public health skills, including:
- Program planning
- Implementation and evaluation
- Policy, systems and environmental change
- Developing and working in collaboration with community partners and coalitions
- Excellent support from public health professionals who are committed to training future public health professionals
- Exposure to a wide variety of public health programs
- Flexible timeline for students to complete projects