The Medical Scientist Training Program sponsors a one-day symposium in the spring featuring an outside keynote speaker, oral presentations of student research, student poster presentations and activities to foster student-faculty interactions. The symposium is organized by the student Seminars Committee.
The keynote speaker is an MD-PhD physician-scientist with an active research program. The speaker is selected by MSTP students with input from the Honors Lecture Committee of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health to give a Beyer Lecture.
This lecture is in honor of Karl Beyer, MD-PhD, a dual-degree graduate of UW-Madison in the late 1930s and pioneer in the development of agents to treat hypertension and edema.
2018 Annual Spring Symposium information
The 2018 MSTP Symposium takes place on Thursday, April 19, at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery and will feature keynote speaker Dianna Milewicz, MD, PhD, from the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Milewicz is the President George H.W. Bush Chair of Cardiovascular Medicine, Director of the Division of Medical Genetics and Vice Chair of the Department of Internal Medicine.
Her keynote address is "Drivers for a Successful Career as a Physician-Scientist: Patients and Curiosity."
Milewicz’s research focuses on identifying the genes that predispose individuals to aortic aneurysms, aortic dissections and cerebral aneurysms to prevent premature deaths, identify pathways leading to these vascular diseases and establish improved therapeutics and biomarkers for the disease.
Student speakers include:
- Layla Barkal, "Microbial Volatile Communication in Human Organotypic Lung Models"
- Sara Berman, "Two Diseases or One? The Relationship Between Alzheimer's Disease and Vascular Mediated Cognitive Decline"
- Brett Morris, "A Role for Collagen Matrix Density in Breast Cancer Metabolism"
- Ben Steyer, "Allele Specific Gene Editing: A Therapeutic Approach for Inherited Retinopathy"
- Daryl Fields, "Respiratory Plasticity: Learning by Failure"
Previous MSTP Symposium speakers
Speakers over the past decade have included:
- Shawn Coughlin, MD, PhD, Cardiovascular Research Institute, UCSF (2001)
- Kit Lam, MD, PhD, Cancer Center and Department of Medicine, UC-Davis (2002)
- Christopher Walsh, MD, PhD, Department of Neurology, Harvard (2003)
- Evan Sadler, MD, PhD, Department of Medicine, Washington University (2004)
- Vanessa Gamble, MD, PhD, Tuskegee University National Center for Bioethics (2005)
- Jeffrey Friedman, MD, PhD, Center for Human Genetics, Rockefeller (2006)
- Martin Yarmush, MD, PhD, Department of Surgery, Harvard (2007)
- Johan Stenflo, MD, PhD, Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Lund (2008)
- George Daley, MD, PhD, Biological Chemistry/Molecular Pharmacology and Pediatrics, Harvard (2009)
- Karl Deisseroth, MD, PhD, Bioengineering and Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, Stanford (2010)
- Lalita Ramakrishnan, MBBS, PhD, Microbiology, Medicine, and Immunology, University of Washington (2011)
- Erkki Ruoslahti, MD, PhD, Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of California Santa Barbara (2012)
- Marcus Raichle, MD, Radiology and Neurology, Washington University in St. Louis (2013)
- Michael Yaffe, MD, PhD, Biology and biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2014)
- Helen Hobbs, MD, Internal Medicine and Molecular Genetics, UT Southwestern (2015)
- Ben Ho Park, MD, PhD, Oncology and Engineering, Johns Hopkins University (2016)