Ready to take the next step? Here are the steps involved in our application process.
1. Take the MCAT - last test date considered is September 8, 2018
If you submit your AMCAS application and an additional Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) score has not yet been reported, we will wait for the additional score to be submitted before reviewing your application. Please note that secondary applications are offered to applicants who meet our minimum academic requirements: a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.0 and an MCAT score at the 60th percentile or higher.
Applicants who do not meet the undergraduate GPA minimum, but have completed 12 credits of postbaccalaureate coursework in the sciences with at least a 3.0 GPA will be reviewed manually and may be sent a secondary application.
If you submit both old and current MCAT scores, then we will consider the score with the highest percentile rank.
We will accept former and current MCAT scores based on the following schedule:
- Entering Class of 2019 – current or former MCAT if taken after January 1, 2015
- Entering Class of 2020 – current MCAT only
Please see our FAQ page for further information about the MCAT.
2. Submit your AMCAS application - deadline is October 15, 2018
The American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) is a centralized online application service sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Once AMCAS has received your application and transcript(s), it takes approximately four to six weeks before it is sent to our medical school.
Early applications are encouraged, but it is important to submit the strongest application possible. This might mean waiting for additional grades in your coursework, starting or continuing activities that will prepare you for a career in medicine, and fine-tuning your essay to reflect who you are, and your motivation for becoming a physician.
You will need to select one of the programs offered at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health:
- Regular MD
- Rural MD: This program is offered through the Wisconsin Academy for Rural Medicine (WARM) and will appear as Other Special Programs in the AMCAS application
- MD-PhD (Medical Scientist Training Program): This program will appear as Combined Medical Degree/PhD in the AMCAS application
3. Submit your secondary application - deadline is December 1, 2018
About 90 percent of applicants who apply to the UW School of Medicine and Public Health through AMCAS will receive a secondary application from us. See the instructions for secondary application and letters. Your application will not be considered complete until we receive your processing fee, all letters of recommendation, and the Office of the Registrar confirms whether you are a Wisconsin resident or a non-resident. You may follow the status of your application on the Secondary Application website.
4. Interview at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health when invited
The UW School of Medicine and Public Health Admissions Committee reviews each completed application and invites approximately 600 applicants to interview for our 176 positions. This includes about half of all Wisconsin residents who apply but only 1 in 20 non-residents. The large volume of applications means that it may take several months for you to hear from us, especially if you apply later in the fall. Interviews start in September 2018 and run through the end of February 2019. Invitations are sent via email, so make sure to keep your contact information in AMCAS up to date.
5. Accept our offer
The Admissions Committee performs a final review of your application after you interview. Your letter of acceptance will include an acknowledgement that you should return to us within three weeks. Make sure that all your contact information in AMCAS is up to date. You may also hold acceptances made to you by other medical schools until April 30, 2019.
6. Choose the UW School of Medicine and Public Health, an internationally recognized leader in education, research, community service and global outreach for your medical education
You will need to make a final decision on which medical school you will be attending no later than April 30, 2019.