The University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health Dean’s Teaching Awards were established in 1992 to honor outstanding contributions in student education in medical school programs.
These awards are selected by a committee of faculty that have previously been honored for their excellence in teaching, and as such, are the UWSMPH’s only peer-selected teaching award.
- Eligibility: Any individual having a significant impact on the education of medical, graduate, professional or undergraduate students in SMPH programs is eligible for nomination. Nominees should have a minimum of three years of teaching or educational experience. (Previous winners are not eligible.)
- Annual awards shall be up to four in number.
- Awardees may be nominated by any faculty or staff of the School of Medicine and Public Health.
- Criteria for selection of awardees will include:
- Excellence in teaching, curriculum development or educational leadership
- Extraordinary and sustained dedication and effort on behalf of student education
- Demonstrated high level of teaching and mentoring effectiveness, supported by evaluation data
- Innovations in medical education
- Awards will be $750 each and accompanied by a plaque to be presented by the Dean at Medical Education Day.
- A cover page (one page, bulleted lists encouraged) summarizing the educational contributions and accomplishments of the nominee is required. Nomination packets should not exceed 50 pages. Examples of teaching materials may be included, but these should be limited to 10 pages.
- The complete nomination packet must be submitted by the deadline. Incomplete nomination packets will not be forwarded to the committee.
- Format: Nomination letters should be addressed to Chair, Dean’s Teaching Awards Selection Committee. Nomination packets must be submitted electronically as a single pdf.
- If ratings of the nominee are compared specifically to those of other individual faculty members in evaluation data (numeric or comments), the names of non-nominees should be redacted.
Generally speaking, summarized numeric comparisons are sufficient.
Please submit completed nomination packets by March 2, 2020 to:
Chair, Dean's Teaching Award Selection Committee
c/o Roxane Olsen, Medical Education Office