Improve your Spanish skills in a medical interviewing context and effectively interact with Spanish-speaking patients from the community. Earn one credit and gain valuable language skills from University of Wisconsin-Madison professor Araceli Alonso, RN, PhD.
Applications are now being accepted. Deadline for applications is Wednesday, January 10, 2018, by midnight. Students will be notified of acceptance by Friday, January 19, 2018. Students should not register for the course prior to notification of acceptance. Students currently enrolled in health professions programs are given priority for acceptance into the course.
Two sections of the course will be taught spring semester 2018 on the same evening (note time differences below). The Intermediate Section is designed for students who have solid Spanish speaking ability (are able to communicate in a number of interactive social and task-oriented encounters) and good oral comprehension skills. The Advanced Section is designed for students who are near or completely fluent in speaking and comprehension and can effectively initiate and sustain a wide variety of conversations with finesse. Students should indicate on the application which section they prefer for placement consideration.
- 10 weekly sessions: Thursdays, February 1-April 19 (no class March 22 or 29)
- The Intermediate Section will meet from 5:30 to 7 p.m.; the Advanced Section will meet from 6:15 to 7:45 p.m. Room location is 1309 HSLC.
- Pertinent medical vocabulary for clinical histories and physical exams
- Grammar component to facilitate effective and professional communication
- Small group interaction with native Spanish speakers serving as "teaching patients"
- Information about cultural practices unique to the Hispanic community and working with interpreters
- An opportunity to gain insight into a different culture's concerns and a better understanding of the diversity in the Madison area
- Practice scenarios that relate to medicine, pharmacy, nursing, PA, PT, and veterinary medicine students
Minimum of Intermediate level Spanish speaking skills are required for the course. Course enrollment is limited. A completed online application is required for admission. Students are required to attend eight of 10 sessions to receive credit.
No tuition or fees are charged for full-time students. Purchase of course book ($11.95), available at the University Book Store HSLC location, is required for the Intermediate Section only.