Students in the Path of Distinction in Public Health will complete a required project. The process includes submitting an inquiry form and field experience proposal form, then writing a scholarly paper and presenting their work.
Your PoD project must be:
- Community or health systems based
- Incorporate at least one of the following:
- Quality Improvement
- Community Health Assessment
- Program Planning
- Program Evaluation
If the project does not meet the above and you believe your project is public health focused, please contact email@example.com.
Student field inquiry form
The student inquiry form (doc) is designed to help students formulate thoughts about an area of interest and to help the placement site address and/or direct an inquiry to the appropriate person. Students should attach the completed form, along with a CV or resume, to all inquiries made to potential field placement sites and/or preceptors.
Field experience proposal form
PoD students must complete the project proposal form with details regarding their proposed project to ensure that their field experience/project meets the Path of Distinction (PoD) requirements. The student is responsible for completing the form, obtaining the signatures and submitting the form (with the proper attachments) to the student services coordinator. This form must be submitted at least 10 weeks before the field experience/project begins.
Participation in the Path of Distinction requires writing a reflection paper (pdf) that is a synthesized summary of the student’s project. The project and paper gives students the opportunity to reflect more deeply into an area of personal interest and to learn about the background and current approaches to solving a population health issue.
Students in the Forward Curriculum will orally present their work during the PoD-PH Project Symposium in the fall following your summer project.
Students in the Legacy Curriculum must present their work at a relevant seminar or symposium. It is your responsibility to submit the presentation form when you have completed this requirement.
Examples of suitable events include:
- Population Health Poster Session, spring semester, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up
- Training in Urban Medicine and Public Health (TRIUMPH) Symposium, spring semester in Milwaukee; held annually for TRIUMPH students to present their project
- Wisconsin Academy for Rural Medicine (WARM) Symposium, held in the spring or summer depending on field site - M3 WARM students present their projects to second-year WARM students
- Global Health Symposium, spring semester; this is the best option for students who do a global health trip for their Path of Distinction field experience, sign up through Global Health Institute
- Physician Assistant End of Rotation Presentations, held during the fall and spring semester depending on end of rotation dates; contact the PA program to sign up