Researchers Earn UW2020: WARF Discovery Initiative Awards
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health researchers were well-represented among the 21 proposals selected for UW2020: WARF Discovery Initiative awards.
A total of 104 faculty from across UW-Madison reviewed the 119 submitted projects. The 16-member UW2020 Council then ranked the proposals. Final selections were made by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education leadership.
The 21 funded projects include 137 faculty from 10 schools and colleges. Projects are funded for two years with the average award totaling $372,923.
Projects involving School of Medicine and Public Health researchers are:
- Principal investigator: Subhojit Roy, professor of pathology
- Collaborators: William Murphy, professor of biomedical engineering and orthopedics; Su-Chun Zhang, professor of neuroscience and neurology
- Co-principal investigators: Anthony Gitter, assistant professor of biostatistics and medical informatics; Michael Hoffman, professor of oncology
- Co-principal investigators: Peiman Hematti, professor of medicine; Amish Raval, associate professor of medicine
- Co-investigators: John Kink, scientist, UW Carbone Cancer Center; Eric Schmuck, assistant scientist, medicine; Sydney Walker, research associate, medicine
- Collaborators: Timothy Hacker, senior scientist, Cardiovascular Research Center and director, Cardiovascular Physiology Core Facility; Timothy Kamp, professor of medicine
- Co-principal investigator: Kristen Malecki, assistant professor of population health sciences
- Principal investigator: Anna Huttenlocher, professor of pediatrics and medical microbiology and immunology
- Co-principal investigator: Igor Slukvin, professor of pathology and laboratory medicine
- Collaborators: Nancy Keller, professor of medical microbiology and immunology; JD Sauer, assistant professor of medical microbiology and immunology
- Co-principal investigator: Gheorghe Craciun, professor of mathematics and biomolecular chemistry
- Co-principal investigators: Andrew Alexander, professor of medical physics and psychiatry; Rozalyn Anderson, associate professor of medicine; David Andes, professor of medicine and medical microbiology and immunology; Barbara Bendlin, associate professor of medicine; James Gern, professor of pediatrics; Bruce Klein, professor of medical microbiology and immunology; Janet Lainhart, professor of psychiatry
- Co-investigators: Weibo Cai, associate professor of radiology; Ying Ge, associate professor of cell and regenerative biology
- Co-principal investigators: Paul Ahlquist, professor of oncology and plant pathology
- Co-investigators: Anjon Audhya, associate professor of biomolecular chemistry; Baron Chanda, associate professor of neuroscience; Ed Chapman, professor of neuroscience; James Keck, professor of biomolecular chemistry; Kate O’Connor-Giles, associate professor of genetics; Yongna Xing, associate professor of oncology
- Collaborator: Jonathan Engle, assistant professor of medical physics
- Co-investigators: Patricia Keely, professor of cell and regenerative biology; Manish Patankar, professor of obstetrics and gynecology; Nathan Sandbo, assistant professor of medicine
Date Published: 04/19/2017