The University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health is dedicated to a mission, vision and values shared by UW Health, an integrated academic health system.
Advancing health without compromise through:
- Service: Providing the best possible patient care experience and outcomes for all those who need our services and providing programs that support the health and wellness of individuals and populations.
- Scholarship: Delivering contemporary education for current and future generations of health professionals.
- Science: Conducting a broad range of research to discover the most promising ways to promote health and to prevent, detect and treat illness in people and populations.
- Social responsibility: Doing what is best for the communities we serve through environmental sustainability, policy advocacy, health care delivery and public health.
- Integrity: Doing the right things at the right time and place. Focus on the best interests of patients. Be honest with patients, learners and each other.
- Innovation: Finding new and better ways to enhance quality of care and all aspects of our work.
- Compassion: Treat patients, families, learners and each other with kindness and empathy. Connect with patients and families individually and personally and engage them as partners in their care decisions.
- Accountability: Be individually and collectively responsible for the work we do and for the outcomes and experience of every patient, every learner, every day.
- Respect: Honor patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality. Value differences among individuals and groups. Actively listen, encourage feedback and choose the best way to deliver timely and meaningful information.
- Excellence: Strive to be the best and work continuously to improve performance and exceed expectations.
- Diversity: Foster a culture of inclusion and respect among our patients, employees, learners, and the communities we serve. Through teaching, discovery and advocacy, promote equity in access to quality health care.