The Doctor of Medicine-Master of Public Health (MD-MPH) dual degree program is designed to equip future practitioners with foundational knowledge and skills in clinical medicine and the science and practice of public health to better address health and wellness and complex health issues on an individual and population basis.
The MD-MPH Program allows students to complete both degrees in five years. Students have the option of completing their MPH degree at one of two points during medical school: either the year prior to starting medical school or between Phase Two and Phase Three of medical school.
The timing of the MPH year is determined based on what is best for the student. During the year spent in the MPH Program, students complete the majority of their MPH coursework, along with their MPH fieldwork and capstone. The remainder of the elective credits are completed during their time in the MD Program.
Students may apply to the MD-MPH Program through the AMCAS application at the time of MD admissions with a supplemental application being required for MPH admissions. Students who determine an interest in public health later in medical school have the option to apply during the first two phases of medical school. Students who apply to the MPH Program during the MD Program must apply through the standard MPH application (as opposed to the AMCAS at the time of MD admissions).
The University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health MD-MPH dual degree program requires that students are reviewed for admission by each program separately. It is important that students follow the application process required for either admission option (at the time of MD admission or once enrolled in the MD Program).
Scholarships are available for MD-MPH students during their MPH year. A number of scholarships are available to students. Students should apply during the year that they will matriculate into the MPH Program. Applicants can review the requirements and policies for the scholarships prior to applying. Interested students can apply using the link below.
MD-MPH course schedule
- PUBHLTH 780 Evidence-Based Decision-Making
- PUBHLTH 781 Communicating Public Health Effectively I
- PUBHLTH 782 Determinants of Health and Health Equity: A Systems Approach
- PUBHLTH 783 Quantitative Approaches to Public Health
- PUBHLTH 791Communicating Public Health Effectively II
- PUBHTLH 792 Policy and Public Health
16 total credits
- POPLTH 784 Public Health Surveillance & Analytics
- PUBHLTH 785 Public Health and Health Care Systems
- PUBHLTH 786 Planning and Management to Promote Health
- PUBHLTH 787 Applied Practice Experience Seminar
- PUBHLTH 790 Culminating Seminar
12 total credits
- PUBHLTH 788 Applied Practice Experience
6 total credits
- POP HLTH 712 Integrating Medicine and Public Health
1 credit (Phase I)
*Fulfills PH Leadership Requirement
- Discipline-Related Courses
- PH Thread Phase I (3 credits)
- PH Selective (2 credits)
- PH Elective (3 credits)
9 total credits