Criteria for Visiting Student Applications
The School of Medicine and Public Health (SMPH) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison reviews applications for visiting students meeting all of the following criteria:
- United States citizen
- Currently enrolled in an accredited medical or osteopathic school
- In his/her final year of training at the time they are rotating in the School of Medicine and Public Health
Criteria for Visiting Student Enrollment
- Enrollment for the 2015-16 academic year is May 7, 2015-April 23, 2016 covering rotations from July 6, 2015-June 30-2016
- Enrollment for the 2016-17 academic year will open May 6, 2016, covering rotations from July 5, 2016-June 30, 2017. Do not attempt to pay your application fee and apply earlier than May 6, 2016.
- Visiting students must enroll in a minimum of four weeks and no more than eight weeks of clerkships.
Visiting Student Application Process
Visiting students seeking rotations in the following departments should select the appropriate link before applying:
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Neurological Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Application Fee and Required Documentation
- Select the Fee Payment link
- After paying your fee, please follow the instructions for providing required documentation
- Please see our Refund Policy
Application Approval Process
- When you have provided all of the required documentation it will be reviewed by our Visiting Students office.
- You will be contacted if you have missing or outdated documents
- When all documentation is complete and correct, you will receive Institutional Approval and your application will be moved forward to the department for final approval.
- Final approval to rotate is made by the department where you have requested rotation(s).
- Do not assume final approval until you receive confirmation from the department that you are scheduled.
Housing for Visiting Students