Criteria for Visiting Student Applications
The University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (UWSMPH) in Madison reviews applications for visiting students meeting all of the following criteria:
- United States citizen
- Currently enrolled in an accredited medical or osteopathic school
- In his/her final year of training at the time they are rotating in the UW School of Medicine and Public Health
Criteria for Visiting Student Enrollment
- Enrollment for the 2014-15 academic year will open April 28, 2014 and close April 25, 2015.
- Attempting to pay your application fee and enroll before the academic year officially opens will place your application in the wrong academic year. Please wait for the enrollment year to open before you attempt to pay your application fee.
- Visiting students must enroll in a minimum of four weeks and no more than eight weeks of clerkships.
Visiting Student Application Process
The visiting student application is a two-step (Step A and B) process.
Visiting students seeking rotations in the following departments should select the appropriate link before beginning Step A:
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Neurological Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Select the Step A Application Instructions link to pay your application fee and complete your online application.
- Your school should submit only the two-page Step A documents with their school seal; we do not use or review any additional documentation submitted with our Step A.
When your Step A application and payment are received, instructions will be emailed to you for uploading required documentation to complete Step B. Required Step B documents are:
- UW Immunization Form
- Background Information Disclosure
- UW Hospital Safety and Infection Control training certificate of completion
- BLS/CPR card
- Digital Photo
- HIPAA survey
- Health insurance card
- When you have completed Step B your application will be reviewed for institutional approval.
- The visiting student coordinator in the School of Medicine and Public Health will contact you if information is missing or if any additional documentation is needed.
- Both you and the department clerkship coordinator(s) where you have requested rotation(s) will be notified by email when your application is approved at the institutional level.
- Contact information for the departmental coordinator(s) will be provided.
- Final determination of course availability and approval to rotate is made by the department clerkship where you have requested rotation(s).
- At this point, all communication regarding your rotation(s) should be with your departmental clerkship coordinator(s).
Do not assume final approval until you receive confirmation that you are scheduled by the department.
Housing for Visiting Students
Short-term housing availability is listed in the Medical Student Association MarketPlace.