Congratulations on nearing the completion of training! Please review important reminders below as you begin the off-boarding process.
Wisconsin medical licensure
Complete the Change of Address for your Wisconsin medical license on the Wisconsin Department of Safety & Professional Services website
NPI - National Provider Identification number
It is crucial that NPI information is updated when beginning employment at a new institution. This must be updated within 30 days of the effective date of the change. It is the health care providers' responsibility to keep their NPI information up to date.
Information to change:
- Provider business MAILING address
- New practice location
- New program location - If going to a new training program outside UW Hospital and Clinics contact the new program coordinator for the address.
- If transitioning to UW School of Medicine and Public Health Faculty - contact the UW Medical Foundation Provider Enrollment at 608-829-5485.
- If transitioning to Williams S. Middleton VA Hospital Faculty contact Medical Affairs Office at (608) 280-7239.
- Provider business PRACTICE address (in many cases this is different from the provider business (office) address - pharmacies use this address to directly contact providers on prescription questions.
- DO NOT use home address or personal mobile phone number
- Update provider taxonomy and state licensure
- Update designation of an alternate person (can be the practitioner)
To determine the date of your last paycheck, review the UWHC 2020 bi-weekly payroll calendar located on U-Connect, or contact payroll at email@example.com or 608-262-4559.
If applicable, complete the address change request on the DEA website after acquiring an approved state license at the new practice location. These changes will become effective immediately upon DEA verifying the new state license. The change of address will also ensure that DEA renewal notices are sent to the correct address.
Professional liability insurance
While employed by UW Hospital and Clinics, residents/fellows were covered under UW Hospital and Clinics' professional liability insurance and UWHC paid for the primary insurance during the training period. Any coverage for moonlighting activities would have been paid by the moonlighting employer.
Liability Coverage/Claims History Request: Information regarding liability coverage and claims history is required for new employment; residents should complete the Request for Liability Coverage/Claims History Form (pdf) to obtain a report. Any questions on coverage or claims, contact the Risk Management Department at 608-261-1327.
Required address updates
It is necessary to submit a change of address. This can be accomplished by going to Oracle via UConnect before the last day of training. U-Connect access will be revoked after training ends. If needed after the last day of training, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, a current address will be necessary for receipt of the W-2 form in January of the next year.
Change of bank – update direct deposit
Access to MedHub terminates 30 days after the program end date. Please work with the program coordinator to ensure all necessary training documentation has been completed (e.g. evaluations, procedures, duty hours, etc.) and any personal information wished to be kept for a resident/fellow's records has been exported. Please note, if the resident/fellow wishes to have any MedHub communication sent via e-mail during this 30-day window that a personal e-mail must be provided as the UW Health e-mail account will no longer be active.
UW Hospital and Clinics-GME certificate policy:
- The certificate of completion is a valuable legal document
- Each graduating trainee is entitled to one completion certificate per program completed
- The name on the certificate is the name under which the resident/fellow trained
- There is no replacement for lost or stolen certificates and name changes
- A damaged certificate may be replaced only if the original certificate is returned to the GME Office to destroy
All scrubs must be returned to their respective assigned machines. If scrubs are not returned, you will be charged a fee of $25/set that will be deducted from your last paycheck. Please DO NOT turn in VA, Meriter or St. Mary's scrubs to UWHC machines.
Items to be returned
- UW Hospitals and Clinics photo ID
- UW Hospitals and Clinics pager
- GME forwarding address form (if not already submitted to the GME Office)
- UW parking permit/hangtag (if applicable)
- VA photo ID (if applicable)
- Meriter Hospital ID (refund received when ID returned to Meriter Hospital Transportation Department)
- Keys (if applicable)
- Any other program-assigned items belonging to your program or UWH provisioned assets (i.e., laptop, monitor, docking station, etc).
Wisconsin Patients Compensation Fund (PCF)
Email and electronic file storage
Health insurance and other benefits
Long-Term disability insurance - Northwestern Group LTD insurance
The long-term disability insurance, underwritten by the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company through Shulla Financial Services, ends on the last day of training. If a resident/fellow wishes to apply for conversion coverage, this needs to be requested prior to the last day of employment at UW Hospital and Clinics. Information will be sent by Shulla Financial Services to the home address. Contact Andrew P. Shulla, CLU, at 608-836-2094 with any questions. If interested in converting group long-term disability coverage to conversion insurance, complete the Long-Term Disability Conversion Request Form (pdf) and return to the address indicated on the form.