The University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health will provide supervision of health profession students in all clinical areas to ensure quality education as well as patient and student safety.
1. The UW School of Medicine and Public Health expects each department to be responsible for ensuring student and patient safety in the clinical experiences in which students participate.
2. At each clinical experience orientation, students must be informed of the expectations for their participation and supervision in patient care. Departmental educational leaders, as designated by the appropriate health profession program, are responsible for informing the faculty and/or residents who will supervise students in that health profession program of these same expectations.
3. Departmental educational leaders are responsible for assigning students to designated faculty and/or resident supervisors for all clinical experiences and for ensuring that faculty, residents and students are made aware of these assignments.
4. Students are to be provided with rapid, reliable systems for communicating with supervising faculty and/or residents, usually pager numbers.
5. The amount of supervision required for each student will vary according to the clinical task and clinical status of each patient and should be commensurate with the student’s level of training, education and clinical experience.