We look forward to meeting you! Our goal for interview day is to provide a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere so that we can get to know you better and show you what our MD Program is all about.
Interview day activities
- Relax the night before interview day at an informal social gathering hosted by current medical students at 7 p.m. in Health Science Learning Center (optional)
- Meet with faculty, staff and current medical students
- Learn about our innovative ForWard curriculum, opportunities that will enhance your medical school experience, and our student life and supportive culture
- Interview with a faculty interviewer and current medical students
- Tour the Health Sciences Learning Center. Tours of University Hospital and Clinical Simulation Program facility are also available (optional)
- Hear one of our current physicians discuss specialty choice, balancing work and home life, and clinical and research work at University Hospital
- Attend the Student Diversity Breakfast hosted by current students in the Medical Students for Minority Concerns (MSMC) organization (optional)
Finding your way to Madison
The UW–Madison campus is about 80 miles from Milwaukee, 150 miles from Chicago, and 270 miles from Minneapolis. The city is accessible from several major freeways: I-39, I-90 and I-94.
Parking is available at the University Hospital patient/visitor ramp, just south of the Health Sciences Learning Center:
610 Highland Avenue
Madison WI 53705
Fee: $10 for eight hours
Dane County Regional Airport (MSN), located just 15 minutes from campus, offers over 40 departures daily on four national carriers. There are direct nonstop flights from 12 other cities and connections everywhere.
Bus transportation is available to Madison from General Mitchell International Airport (MKE) in Milwaukee and from O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and Midway International Airport (MDW) in Chicago.
Several bus lines and motor coach companies serve Madison. Badger Coaches and Greyhound offer daily service to and from Milwaukee (including the airport). For those traveling to or from Chicago, Van Galder Bus Company offers daily round-trip service between campus and downtown Chicago, and O'Hare and Midway Airports. Megabus routes include stops in Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Chicago but do not serve the airports.
Getting around Madison
There are 4 different cab services that run 24 hours/day in the Madison Area.
- Madison Taxi: (608) 255-8294
- Badger Cab: (608) 256-5566
- Green Cab of Madison: (608) 255-1234
- Union Cab of Madison Co-op: (608) 242-2000
Campus Bus 80 (free) is a favorite of students, faculty, and staff and stops in front of the Health Science Learning Center. City bus routes that go to (or close to) the HSLC include: 2, 10, 11, 14, 15, 28, 38, 44.
Where to stay
Check for places to stay at the Madison at the Greater Madison Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Staying with a medical student
Check your invitation email for information about staying with a current medical student, subject to availability.
Frequently asked questions
What should I wear?
The safest choice for any interview is a tailored suit in a conservative color like black, navy, gray or tan. It is perfectly fine to wear a blouse or shirt that has some color (the same goes for ties). Shoes should be coordinated with your suit. Women may want to avoid high heels since there will be numerous tours during the day. Try on your entire interview attire several days before your visit. That way you can make any necessary improvements, repairs or purchases.
What should I bring?
Please bring a photo ID for check-in. You may also want to bring a water bottle, snack, notebook and pen.
How should I prepare for the interviews?
Review your application, including your personal statement and activities. Practice interviewing, and think of some of your own questions about our program. Your pre-health advising or career services office may be a great resource for interview preparation.
Can I bring a friend or family member?
Due to limited space and our planned agenda, friends or family members will not be able to take part in interview activities.
What will the weather be like?
Weather in Wisconsin can be unpredictable. You may want to check the forecast before you arrive to plan on what kind of outerwear you might need, particularly if you interview during the winter months.